[H-GEN] X locks up desktop, even with live cds

Anthony Irwin anthony at server101.com
Wed Feb 28 20:51:44 EST 2007

Troy Piggins wrote:

> Unfortunately you can't install from the
> AMD64 minimal live cd!  The main difference I can tell is that
> the Gentoo wasn't running X, it was all console.
>
> Am I missing anything?  The graphics card is Nvidia 256Mb 6800GT
> (or something like that).  I have always had success with nvidia
> cards and linux, installing the distros own drivers, then once
> working use nvidias own binaries.
>
> What can I do to trace the source of the problem?

Hi,

I had a similar problem about 6 or 7 years ago with a nvidia riva tnt
card. The card worked fine for some things and not others. I ended up
switching it with a card I had in another computer that I didn't use
much and everything then worked fine.

Like you said above nvidia cards normally work flawlessly with linux
and they even produce their own drivers for the accelerated graphics
so I would say that the first thing to check is the graphics card itself.

Maybe your card has a slight fault that doesn't like the way X handles
the graphics. If you have another card you could try swapping it and
see if you get the same results.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin