[H-GEN] problem with data projector

McBofh McBofh at jmcp.id.au
Thu Feb 22 18:19:06 EST 2007

Peter Robinson wrote:
> I am struggling to make my laptop talk to one of the data projectors in
> a lecture room at UQ (3-206). Xorg is defaulting to 800x600.
> The display on the lecture desk pops up a window saying the optimal is
> 1024x768.
>
> I am using a Dell Latitude D600  with an ATI Radeon R250 running Ubuntu
> Edgy.
>
> I did some google searching and found a suggestion - add the following
> to the Monitor section of xorg.conf
>
> HorizSync  30-61
> VertRefresh 56-76
>
> When I tried that Xorg then defaulted to 640x480  :(
>
> I then tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg with the data projector
> connected and it added
>
> HorizSync  28-70
> VertRefresh 43-60
>

> Again that gave a resolution of 640x480  (and if I commented those out
> it was back to 800x600).
>
> It has no trouble with other data projectors around the place (e.g. 50-2
> and 50-3 and our seminar room).
>
> Any suggestions on what I should try next?

Either add

         Option  "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,TMDS"

to your xorg.conf's Device section, or use the vesa mode :)

Seriously, I've had no end of problems getting Xorg to work with my
laptop's ATI card and any external display. With recent builds of
Xorg (7.1) it's come good again, but I haven't tried a projector.

What I've found - after much annoyance - is that using plain old
vesa allows everything to sync up just fine.

For reference, I've attached a copy of my working dual-head
conf file with vesa.

The other thing to ask is, what are the projector models in
each of those three rooms you mention?

James C. McPherson
--
Solaris kernel software engineer, system admin and troubleshooter
               http://www.jmcp.homeunix.com/blog