[H-GEN] Questions about the Wireless Broadband Modems and linux compatibility.

Neville C. Dempsey NevilleD.AULUG at sgr-a.net
Sun Dec 16 03:17:32 EST 2007

Hi....

In short: Which providers modem dongle/card works with Linux?

I have checked their web sites and it might be they all use the same
devices:
 * Roamer – USB Modem
 * InZone – E960 Wireless Router Modem
 * Roamer – PC Express/GT Max Data Card (ExpressCard)

Clearly the E960 Wireless Router Modem will work straight off, but it is
only offered by Optus, and their deal is not so hot.

Has anyone had any experience with any USB or ExpressCard devices under
Linux?   OR.... hoes anyone have one of the devices I can try out to see
if it works on linux.

Regards
NevilleD

Other related information showing the causal link.

I have been considering taking up on of the Xmas Broadband special offers.

The CNET article about sum the mini price war on at the moment:
http://www.cnet.com.au/broadband/wireless/0,239035991,339284358,00.htm
Basically:
three.com.au:
 * 5Gb $49.50/mth free $399 USB modem card, 24mth, only to prepaid subscribers.

vodaphone.com.au:
 * 5Gb $39/mth, free $299 modem (USB or ExpressCard) 12mth plan

optus.com.au:
 * 2Gb $49.99/mth, $0-$10/mth modem rental depending on conditions.

There appear to be three ways to connect to this Wireless broadband:
http://smb.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Template_wRHS&FP=/smallbusiness/internet/wireless&site=smallbusiness

Roamer – USB Modem
InZone – E960 Wireless Router Modem
Roamer – PC Express/GT Max Data Card

The links to the various plans are as follows:
* http://www.three.com.au/cs/ContentServer?subId=1156241342637&homeId=1154931041257&c=Page&pagename=Three%2FPage%2FServiceTemplate&p=1155054450837&cid=1179727383054

* http://www.vodafonedirectdeals.com.au/Campaign-Cap.aspx?cid=34

 * http://smb.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Template_wRHS&FP=/smallbusiness/internet/wireless&site=smallbusiness

Scanned by the NetBox from NetBox Blue