[H-GEN] Fwd: Me and Linux

Anthony Irwin anthony at server101.com
Mon Apr 2 20:24:33 EDT 2007

Sandra Mansell wrote:

> Anthony Irwin wrote:
>
>> Can they actually deny a warranty claim because you removed windows?
>
> IANAL, but I'm fairly certain that any company that tried to tell you
> what software you could and couldn't run on your computer as conditions
> of warranty wouldn't have a leg to stand on when it came time to claim
> on a hardware fault. That just reeks of a clause that couldn't actually
> be enforced by law. (Plus unless it was the hard drive that died, you
> could always throw it in another machine and chuck Windows on it to take
> back for the warranty claim ;-) )
>
> Sandra.

Still Its a real pain in the butt. If you have a cdrom drive that dies
in say a laptop and you send it in to get fixed why should you have to
remove your os then put windows on it then reinstall your computer os
when you get the computer back?

And to even reinstall an os if the cdrom drive dies you have to either
buy or find a usb cdrom drive and it should really be unnecessary. I
guess I can understand to a small degree that they can't confirm the
fault before you send it to them if they don't know how to get you to
test it with your os but generally when a *nix user has a problem it
is a real problem and not some software fault.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin