[H-GEN] bpalogin init script for ubuntu

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 04:19:32 EST 2006

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:07:15 +1000 Sandra Mansell
<sandra at mansell.id.au> wrote:

> Harry Phillips wrote:
>
> > You can't use bog standard client's,
>
> I'm curious if this is still true as they have now dropped their
> infamous 'heartbeat' system.... Alas my outlaws have cable so I can't
> check if a regular pppoe system works. (Also, apostrophes don't
> denote plurality, only ownership or contractions.)

bpalogin, and Telstras strange login protocol only applied to Bigpond
cable service.  Bigpond broadband wireless uses pppoe standard
clients, I'm using it now via whatever pppoe client came standard with
SuSE 9.3.  I'm not sure what they use on Bigpond ADSL.

The protocol used via bpalogin consisted of two parts, the login
protocol, and the heartbeat.  They could have removed the heartbeat
component and left the login part.  I don't know for sure, because I
wrote a Java based login client that worked everywhere, but I haven't
tried it for quite a long time (I've not used cable for a long time).
It's still listed on whirlpool as working though, so I suspect it was
just the heartbeat part that got dropped.