[H-GEN] Does anyone have experience with the IETF process?

Benjamin Carlyle benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 16 08:37:01 EDT 2006

G'day,

I have written something of an internet draft. Rather than look like a
fool in front of a high concentration of learned folk that I do not
know, I thought I would present it initial in front of a high
concentration of people that I do know:

http://soundadvice.id.au/blog/draft-carlyle-sena-00.txt

It is a draft for a subscription protocol based on HTTP. I would welcome
feedback on formatting, style, content, and any other aspect of the
draft. I would also welcome suggestions as to how to proceed from here.
Assuming noone here suggests a better approach, my next step will
probably be to email the directors of the Real-time Applications an
Infrastructure Area[1] to ask their advice on how to proceed... or
perhaps the Applications Area[2].

Does the world need this extension? I think so. There has been increased
chatter about subscription and notification since work on atom
concluded. There is talk particularly in financial markets about
ensuring information is available in a timely and fair manner.

In my industry I have seen the earlier GENA protocol in various
non-standard forms written several times. JEP-0060 is trying to
standardise a subscription mechanism over XMPP, but is based on what I
think are unworkable foundations when it comes to high volume
internet-scale traffic.

My draft is intended to be a strawman towards delivering a standardised
scalable protocol over which arbitrary resource state can be
synchronised without the complexities of GENA and without incurring a
large base load on the network when notifications do not need to be
sent.

Benjamin.
[1] http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/wg-dir.html#Real-time%
20Applications%20and%20Infrastructure%20Area
[2] http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/wg-dir.html#Applications%20Area