[H-GEN] What's wrong with this command?

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Sun Oct 1 04:52:38 EDT 2006

Clearly there is some small thing I don't quite understand about
redirecting or piping the output of one command to the input of
another. :-(

I was trying to 'tar up' a whole directory on one host and send it to
a tgz file on another host.  What I actually did with this command
was 'tar up' the directory and send it to a file on the same host.

Not sure whether or not the data stream was being piped through the
network to the remote host and back to the local file. :-/

tar -czf - Jira/ | ssh root at diamond cat - > /misc/Jira.tgz

Shell is bash, OS is RHEL4.