[H-GEN] DNS Question for the DNS Gurus

David Ash dash at redhat.com
Fri Nov 17 05:32:59 EST 2006

Rick Phillips wrote:

> I have a web/mailserver running with a number of virtual domains.  I am
> about to change my ISP after a number of years and will be "churning"
> the account.  This means that sometime on the nominated day, a Telstra
> technician makes a change in the exchange.  The new ISP can only
> guarantee that it will be done some time on the day nominated.
>
> As I cannot afford to be off the air for too long and because
> re-delegation can take up to 24 hours, does anyone know if I can have my
> backup DNS server (on another machine and on another ISP) be changed to
> point to my new address while my own DNS server points to my current
> address.
>
> The theory is that when the changeover happens, the new IP address will
> be available to the world immediately off the backup server.  My own DNS
> server can be changed after the event to match.  Would this work?

On my last move I didn't want to worry about that.  As well as DNS
problems, and possibilities of adsl connectivity problems, I heard of a
few instances of churning not working and being left without
connectivity for a month.  So I paid for 2 months of internet for a one
month period and cancelled the old account after I knew everything was
working successfully.  I also got a cheaper plan at the same time.

Regards
Dash