[H-GEN] smbfs mount problem

Paul Clarke paul at sitedynamics.com.au
Sun Jun 11 06:14:41 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I will admit a total lack of knowledge and appreciate (and hope) that
this is probably an easy fix.

Using Ubuntu on the laptop wanting to mount a directory on the server
(Debian) using Samba so that I can backup my data!

using:
mount /media/avrodocs

where fstab has:
//avro/documents	/media/avrodocs	smbfs
credentials=/etc/.smbcredentials,dmask=777,fmask=777,rw,hard,intr	0	0

(and every other possible combination I can think of!)

returns:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //avro/documents,
        missing codepage or other error
        dmesg | tail  or so

So dmesg | tail returns:

smbfs: mount_data version 1684370019 is not supported

The strange thing is that I can browse the avro server and mount the
directory using nautilus but it seems that directories mounted in the
GUI are not visible in from the command line :(

Thanks

Paul