[H-GEN] can't get IP forwarding/NAT working on new install

Troy Piggins troy at piggo.com
Tue Jun 6 17:51:30 EDT 2006

* Michael Anthon <michael at anthon.net> :

> >Network Destination        Netmask      Gateway       Interface Metric
> >           0.0.0.0  255.255.255.255  192.168.0.1     192.168.0.3      1
>
> Certainly looks dodgy... this is mine
>
> Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
>          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0     192.168.10.1   192.168.10.99       20

It turned out to be the problem.  Fixed now.

> Was that something set manually or via dhcp?  Try this command "ipconfig
> /all", the should print out more info about the netwrok setting include dhcp
> info if it is available.

I did "route -f" to flush the routing table and now it works.

> WRT the other comments....
>
> >> 192.168.1.1interface so it will try to send it via ppp0.
> >
> >The router is set up with masquerading and that is working.
> >
> >I believe the problem is with the dapper machine, since I can't ping it's
> >external (eth0) interface from my internal network although I can ping
> >it's
> >internal (eth1) interface.
>
> I'm confused, which machine is doing the masq?  The ADSL router or the
> Ubuntu box?  If it's the router then I think my comment is correct still.
> I'd certainly be trying to determine the internal ping issue first though.

Both in fact are doing masq.  The router was doing it correctly, and
in fact now I know the ubuntu machine was too, it was the netmask on
windows not correct.

> Oooohh.. just checked my Kubuntu system...
>
> bash> cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> 0
>
> If memory serves me correctly, you need that set to 1 to make any sort of
> network routing between interfaces functional.  Be worth checking that
> directly rather than just looking the sysctl setup.  Also, is it a custom or
> stock kernel... if it's custom, did you enable the options for that ?

Correct.  It needs to be 1.  Std kernel from ubuntu.

THanks Michael.

--
Troy Piggins
  ,-o   Ubuntu v6.06 (Dapper Drake): kernel 2.6.15-23-server,