[H-GEN] CDROM mount problem on Open SUSE - resolved

Anthony Irwin anthony at server101.com
Wed Jul 19 19:06:37 EDT 2006

andrew laidlaw wrote:

> Dear anthony,
>
> I flattened the machine, and reinstalled (maximum system, 5GB) with
> KDE instead of gnome.  Achieved "clean" partitioning, but could not
> boot, because fsck failed. Could not manually repair, because I had no
> idea what to manually repair, and there is no relevant help.  So,
> never got to post-installation stages.

Maybe its just me but flattened just doesn't feel like the right term. I
have always used the word formatted or deleted the partitions and
reinstalled or something like that.

> Reinstalled (minimum system, 2GB, with KDE), reached post-installation
> stages and noticed that there is an "expert options" button during
> post-installation configuration (users step), which allows a gui
> interface to groups / fstab type options.
>
> Perfectly clean install, CDROM now mounts.  KDE looks better than
> Gnome anyway.

Good to see that you up and running. KDE and Gnome are both good
environments for new users and people who like the feel of an integrated
desktop. Although I haven't used either in quite a while from memory kde
has more power user features then gnome, also if you like to play with
things then there are lots of different desktop environments that you
can use so if you get too comfortable with one you can always experiment
with another one which could give you a new perspective on how you can
do things and work differently.

> I assume a) that KDE/gnome was not the issue, b) there must be
> something else involved so that it cannot be sufficient to manually
> modify the fstab and/or group files, and c) there has to be some other
> package on those disks which had been causing the system to not
> achieve a perfectly clean install.

If when you install from cds you get an error installing some packages
then maybe you have some minor corruption on the cds. I am pretty sure
that the distro server that David brings in has isos for suse so you
could possible get a new set made up. Also if your cds have some
corruption that could explain some of the problems you have been having
because suse is one of those distros that should just work out of the box.

> Thanks again for your help.
>
> regards.... andrew.

Thats ok. Oh I did a quick search on bash and found this
http://linux.org.mt/article/terminal it is from a linux user group
funily enough and seems to give a quick overview of the bash and linux
in general which may be good for new users anyway let me know if thats
the kind of thing new users need its been so long that I sort of forget
that people don't know what I think is just normal common knowledge.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin