[H-GEN] CDROM mount problem on Open SUSE.

Anthony Irwin anthony at server101.com
Mon Jul 17 23:01:48 EDT 2006

andrew laidlaw wrote:

> Dear Anthony,
>
> many more thanks.  su - is most helpful.  I did the things you
> recommended below with the following results:
>
> 1.     # ls -1 /dev/hdc
> returns
> /dev /hdc
>
> Neither more nor less.  And I get the same result from the user (andrew).

You need to use a lowercase L not the number one.

> So at the very least neither "andrew" nor "root" seems to be part of
> the cdrom group?  But the (lack of) ls -1 permissions response also
> looks unsuitable?
>
> How should I add user andrew to the cdrom group?

I know there is a command to do it but I can't remember it off the top
off my head as I normally manually edit the /etc/group file. Load the
/etc/group file in your favourite editor with root access and add your
name to the cdrom section the same as other groups that have your name.

You will need to close out of the shell your in and possibly logout and
back into your gui before trying the mount again.

One last thing.

Depending on how you wish to use your computer I would highly
recommending learning how to use the shell in linux. Search bash
tutorial in google and there should be plenty of info on how to use
bash. Unless you want to do system admin stuff you may or may not want
to learn bash scripting as well.

Normally you wouldn't get the ls -l and other basic info as you would be
expected to already know it. The Unix world sort of has a tradition of
looking into things for themselves first before asking so eventually you
will get flamed for asking something silly but I realise being totally
new you would have no idea what to look for so thus the answers I gave
in easy way to use.

Anyway hopefully you learn a lot from this and will continue learning.
Use Unix for a bit and learn how it works and how to unleash its power
and you won't want to use any other system.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin