[H-GEN] voip equipment & provider

Nick Kwiatkowski nickolas at au1.ibm.com
Mon Jan 2 20:57:26 EST 2006

Geoff Shang wrote on 01/01/2006 01:37:17 AM:

> A classic example is the Engine Voicebox, which is a Sipura 2000 which is

> locked to using Engine only.
>
> Not sure where to run down such info, I know I've seen some discussions
on
> Wirlpool about such things.
>
> Geoff.

The whirlpool URL is here:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=281921 to unlock engin
VoIP Box.

I would be interested in knowing what other here have used for ATA. I was
looking at either SPA-3000 or Draytek 2100V as they have FXO[1] with PSTN
failover.

SPA-3000 is nice from the point that either FXS[2] and FXO ports are
separately addressable, making pluging into Asterisk[3] easy.

The draytek uses relays for VoIP pass-thru via PSTN rather that
encode/decode, giving better voice quality, but doesn't seem to have a
separate addressable PSTN gateway for integration with Asterisk.

Thanks,

Nik

[1] FXO (Foreign eXchange Office): PSTN gateway to normal POTS aka Telstra
telephone line
[2] FXS (Foreign eXchange Subscriber): gateway to standard telephone,
cordless DECT, etc
[3] Asterisk: Linux based Open Source PABX

Nickolas Kwiatkowski
IT Architect (Certified)
Architecture Services
Application Management Services
IBM Global Services, Brisbane, Australia
phone:  07 3213 2149,  mobile:  0412 121 276,  email:  nickolas at au1.ibm.com
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" - Albert Einstein