[H-GEN] Activitives at Humbug

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Tue Feb 28 05:34:36 EST 2006

On 2006-02-28, David Seikel wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:58:47 +1000 Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> wrote:
>
>> But I (and I'm sure others) would be quite happy to talk, if
>> people would just say what they want to hear.  So, if you're
>> pining to hear more talks at Humbug -- whether it be about using
>> Unix utilities or desktop software, writing software in a
>> variety of languages, managing security, or whatever -- make
>> your wishes heard and people will magically step forward.  But
>> if there's no interest from the membership, there probably won't
>> be many talks.
>
> You make it sound so easy.  I accept your application for the position
> of talks maintainer.  B-)
>
> [Insert disclaimer for the humour impaired here.]

Disclaimers aside, it should be apparent to anybody who has
attended a Humbug election that I'm not going to take on any
formal role in the near future.

> Seriously, it's so much easier for the membership to step forward and
> make their wishes known if there was someone to step forward to,

I'm not sure how thoroughly I have to spell this out, but it
seems I have to do more than I've done so far.

So here it is:  if anybody has a topic that they'd like me to
speak about, the person to approach is me.  If you'd like Joe
Bloggs to talk, go and see him.  If you ask me to talk about
something that I'm disinclined to handle, I'll try to point you
in the direction of somebody who might be able to help.  I'll
even help you talk them into doing it.

Cheers, Greg