[H-GEN] Open source CMS experiences.

Christopher LeMoyne christopher_lemoyne at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 14 03:33:18 EST 2006

David Seikel wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:55:03 +1000 Michael Anthon <michael at anthon.net>
>wrote:
>

>>What about the wiki style systems as well?  Those have come along
>>quite nicely in the last few years although they all now seem to look
>>a lot like wikipedia...  depends on your requirements though.
>>

>I consider wiki and cms to be different ends of the same spectrum.  One
>end is a free for all, while the other end is carefully managed.  Most
>wiki and cms systems lie a lot closer to the middle than they would
>like to let on.
>
>Update - drupal and xaraya are my current short list, I'm installing
>them both locally now to have a bit of a play.

I setup a very polished site with minimal effort using Drupal on
Debian.  Very happy with the results.  Switching themes is a snap, as is
adding modules for extensibility.  It's possible to limit the audience
of a node and all of it's sub-nodes using both viewing and editing
permissions.  It's also possible to require moderation of content by the
site admin before anything is posted for end-user access.  For my usage,
this was excellent, as well as the ability to require a
username/password to enter the site (ie, it's membership only).  It can
be setup so that users can create an account for themselves, but it must
be approved by the site admin (me) before access is granted, which is
exactly what I needed for my situation.  Obviously, Drupal can also be
configured for the "open slather" Wiki-type sites, if you so desire.  I
found only one slight drawback with Drupal - enabling private files (ie,
so the file can't be browsed to by file path, instead Drupal streams the
file out of a private directory to the user for saving) seems to break
webdav on the same server.  I had light usage of https webdav on that
same server, so I'm waiting for a filebrowser upload/download module for
Drupal so I can work around this (there is one or two such modules in
the works judging by posts on the Drupal forums).

Regards,
Christopher