[H-GEN] Moving LVM partitions

gavin duley gduley at une.edu.au
Thu Dec 7 02:28:38 EST 2006

Hello,

first just to introduce myself. I've been to two meetings so far,
once in about July, the other last week. I'm hoping to make it to the
next meeting too :-)

Just a question I had about lvm though. My Debian testing box (a Sun
Ultra 5) has /home and / set up as lvm volumes. I'm a bit worried
about the old 10GB seagate harddisc that's in that machine, as I keep
getting errors like this:

hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x20
hda: DMA timeout retry
hda: timeout waiting for DMA
hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: drive not ready for command

My plan is to move the lvm volumes (plus /boot, which is not an lvm
partition) to another, larger drive. A friend suggested that I could
do so by creating new "physical lvm partitions on your new drive and
move the lvm partitions across", but couldn't remember how. I think
parted might be able to do the job, but I'm not really certain.

Any suggestions/warnings?

thanks,

gavin,

--