[H-GEN] agm agenda

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Thu Aug 31 00:44:41 EDT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Clinton Roy wrote:

> I'd like to put my hat in the ring again, but I can only do so if
> meeting times are ratcheted back such that I can get home before
> midnight. I think eight hours is more than enough meeting time.

Ok I'm repeating myself a bit but I feel like saying this more plainly:

Let's really look at the issue of whether it is necessary for an exec
member to be generally present at a meeting.  This was not the practice
for the first few years that HUMBUG was around.  In those days a
presidentially appointed representative was enough - as such the load
could be spread more widely.

I've disagreed with the protocol of requiring an exec member to be present
since it was implemented.  I stated my disagreement at the time but I was
not then on the executive so it was not directly applicable to me.  I
didn't mention it again but I have felt it puts a large strain on a small
number of people.  Clubs are better off spreading the load more evenig
among members IMHO.

The club could determine "meeting captains" in one of several ways:

1.  Presidential appointment - used up to 1998 or so (IIRC)

2.  Appointment by the executive ...

   2a. by simple majority at an executive meeting
   2b. by unanimous consent at an executive meeting

3.  Election to an non-executive position at an SGM

An alternative is to expand the executive and add "general executive
members.  I favour this the least.

Feel free to propose a better name than "meeting captain".

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073
OpenTrend Solutions Ltd      Email:          support at opentrend.net
                              Web:            www.opentrend.net