[H-GEN] agm agenda

James Iseppi lists at iseppi.org
Wed Aug 30 07:28:25 EDT 2006

Hi All,

On Wed, August 30, 2006 10:42, Clinton Roy wrote:
> I'd like to put my hat in the ring again, but I can only do so if
> meeting times are ratcheted back such that I can get home before midnight.
> I think eight hours is more than enough meeting time.
>
> How would people feel about turning the network off at ten thirty, and
> having the meeting closed by eleven?

I'm one of the people who enjoys the late night meetings and the problem
is that although I stay later, I often arrive later (between 5 and 8pm)
making your suggestion of 10:30pm a rather short meeting for me.
Traditionally HUMBUG meetings have ended quite late. This has allowed
people time to do things in a relaxed fashion. I don't feel this should
change while there are members willing and able to stay later and pack up
at meetings.

While it is a requirement for there to always be an exec member present at
a meeting, perhaps only those members willing to stay and pack up
occasionally should consider nominating. I attend almost every meeting and
often stay quite late and am quite happy to pack up. There is also no
reason that every exec member needs to pack up, as long as it is made
clear before they join the exec.

I'm tired of hearing how we need to close up the meetings earlier. If you
are unable to fulfil the roles of an exec member you either need to
clearly state this when being elected as other exec members have
previously done or think very carefully about whether you should run.
David Seikel has packed up almost every meeting within the past twelve
months and I know this because I'm frequently there helping him. I'm happy
to be nominated for election to the exec again if this will help.

To other members who have expressed a desire for earlier meeting closes
may I ask why? Is there anyone actually stopping you leaving earlier? Or
is it simply that you enjoy the meetings so much that the only way you'll
leave is by being kicked out? Sure, if there is no one at a meeting it
should be closed. However, it has often been my experience that there are
regularly people actively doing stuff beyond midnight.

Thanks
James