[H-GEN] Li-Ion batteries.

Christopher LeMoyne christopher_lemoyne at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 24 08:03:57 EDT 2006

David Jericho wrote:

> It was written by Simon Ellis:
>
> <snip>
>
> Li-ion batteries aren't at fault. They are no more dangerous than that tank of
> fuel you have in the back of the car, or that water you drink. All three are
> capable of causing harm if used inappropriately.
>
> Yes, design faults can lead to Li-ion batteries catching fire, but I've seen all
>  bits of laptops (including LCD panels) catch fire over the years. And if you
> still don't believe me Li-ion is safe, check your phone battery type and
> consider how many times you have dropped that.
>
> No need for any scaremongering or lame Dell-Sucks jokes, the recall has been
> issued, check if your batteries need replacing, and move on with life.

Further to this, the only reason why there is any risk at all is because
manufacturers are always changing the mix of "ingredients" in the LiON
batteries.  Because no one is willing to wait for 2-3 years to see if
the new mixture has better shelf-life, better discharge curves, etc,
etc, they just release them onto the unsuspecting public.  It's part and
parcel of the portable lifestyle that everyone loves.  As you can read
elsewhere, the chances of explosion are a fraction of a percentile, even
when greatly exaggerated.  As David states above, mobile phones use
LiON, and have been for many years now without any problems.

Regards,
Christopher