[H-GEN] Fedora Core 5 for PPC needed for the distro server.

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Tue Aug 8 23:46:21 EDT 2006

Speaking of Fedora Core 5...

I have it on a DVD that came with the June issue of Linux Magazine, but I
haven't tried it as yet.  I'll planning to have a first look at it in a Vmware
box when I finally get some time.  If it looks good then I'm thinking about
updating two or three other boxes that I have here.

What are other people's impressions of it?  Is it worth the trouble?

- is it a big upgrade from FC4 (which I have used)?

- easy install and setup? (any issues? - are the default settings ok, etc?)

- does it have all the goodies for driving the hardware on a multi-media box
working with 3D video, 5.1 sound and video capture cards etc?

- does it have everything needed for building a decent server and router boxes?

- can it install and run on older CPUs and hardware as a slim install for
dedicated purposes on old sub-1Gb HDDs?

- is it using the latest versions of open office, samba, gimp, php, ldap, mysql,
and so on?

- any comments about its system and network management tools, and the default
user GUI setup?

- are there any major changes or big surprises?

I also have access to an athlon 64 - is there a 64bit FC5 version available, and
if so, has anyone tried it?  Is it stable?  Can I arrange to get a copy of the
install disks?

Cheers
Tony