[H-GEN] DNS? Network Unreachable?

Benjamin Carlyle benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 3 22:30:01 EDT 2006

De Crow,

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 17:12 +1000, De Crow wrote:
> Routers going up and down all the time(that's another issue), has left my
> Debian proxy server in a little bit of a state. It seems to think that the
> network is currently down, however I can ping offsite without any problems
> from the windows box on the same network, I can even putty into the proxy.
> I'm just wondering if there is a way to force the proxy server to actually
> retest the network? Even though it thinks that it is down? I had this
> problem a little while ago and the only thing that fixed it was to reboot
> the proxy server.

I would suggest looking at the routes table on the debian box:
$ netstat -rn
See if all of the routes you expect are there and correct. If other
hosts on the network are routing ok, the response you are getting is
most likely to be caused by a missing route on the proxy box.

If you find things are not working to your satisfaction a simple network
reset can be done under debian using:
# ifdown <interface>
# ifup <interface>
Where <interface> would be one of your ethernet card device names.
Repeat for as many cards as you have in the box. Alternatively, you can
get in at a lower level and start playing around with manual route
adding using the route command itself.

Benjamin