[H-GEN] Software Freedom Day (new thread)

Russell Stuart russell at humbug.org.au
Thu Sep 8 18:01:08 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 19:17, Robert Brockway wrote:
> Once you get used to the new paradigm it is superior IMHO.  It is
> graphical but not WYSIWYG because the paradigm trancends WYSIWYG.  I've
> found many non-techs see the advantages right away and go ahead and use
> it.  It can easily output pdf too which is great.  All of our business
> docs are produced in Lyx (we output pdf).  I only use OO when someone
> sends me an OO or MS-Word doc and (in the case of MS-Word) it is beyond
> the capability of antiword.

I think this question has come up before, but I will
ask it again.  Is there something out there like lyx
that outputs XML with a nice DTD, preferably docbook?

What brought me in contact with docbook was a Debian
package that didn't ship the manual.  I thought I
would fix it.  It turned out that manual's sources
were docbook, and the <!DOCTYPE ../> for the manual
was docbook 4.4.  Debian sarge ships with docbook
style sheets up to 4.3 - so it wouldn't compile.
Changing the <!DOCTYPE in the original document to
use a docbook 4.3 style sheets worked fine.  But
changing the original source like that is nasty,
so I thought I would go looking for a switch to
the compiler (openjade) that overrode the <!DOCTYPE
entry in the document.  But I could not find one.
Is there such a thing?

In my quest for looking for such a switch I trolled
the web for information about docbook.  Although I
didn't find what was looking for, in the process I
learned enough about docbook to decide it was worth
pursuing further on my next documentation project.
Thus the question above.