[H-GEN] Software Freedom Day (new thread)

Russell Stuart rstuart at lubemobile.com.au
Mon Sep 5 22:43:02 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 21:35, Russell Stuart wrote:
> 2.  The only show stopper is the Venue.  The only problem with the Venue
>     is we don't have one.  I will phone the Sunday Computer Market
>     tomorrow to see what is possible.  I will also phone the other
>     suggestion, the Brunswick St markets, and see what is possible
>     there.  There are also markets at the Sleeman Centre on Sundays,
>     6AM..1PM.  I did have a stand there recently - $30 including
>     table from memory. I am happy to pay this amount myself.  If
>     people think this is a good idea, we can setup go there.

I found lists of Brisbane markets here:
  http://atlas-club.com.au/Qld/Brisbane/bnemarkets.htm
  http://www.brisbanecitylife.com.au/bcl/shop/markets.htm
I contacted those markets that were in Brisbane and open
Saturday.

Sunday Computer Markets:
  Date:     11/09
  Time:     10am to 1pm.
  Location: Pine Rivers Showground, Lawnton
            http://www.whereis.com/whereis/mapping/geocodeAddress.do?advertiserId=&streetNumber=750&streetName=Gympie+Road&poiType=&suburb=Lawnton&state=Queensland&x=28&y=5
  Contact:  3265 2594
  Price:    Free.
  Table:    Included.
  Power:    Included.
  Shaded:   Yes.
  Comment:  Perfect, other than it is not on Software Freedom Day,
            which is 10/9.

Brunswick Markets:
  Don't allow promotional activity.  I explained this was
  non-commercial, but they still were not interested.

South Bank Craft Markets
  Like the idea and sounded interested - but they are full.

Which all means, failing other suggestions, its the Sunday
Computer Markets or nothing.

We need to make a decision soon to give ourselves time to
make CD's, posters, and so on.  I suggest we use this list
as a poll so we can see what the consensus is.  So if you
want to be involved please post a yea or nay.

If you have other suggestions, follow them up and try to
post the results today.

More ideas for posters on the stand:
  "Ask a Free Software Expert".
  "The Free Software Help Desk".