[H-GEN] vsftpd gurus - please read this

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Fri Oct 7 02:53:00 EDT 2005

I'm trying to configure vsftpd so it won't allow anonymous connections
but will allow connections using specific username/password
combinations and at the same time specifically deny connections using
usernames like root, bin, nobody, etc..

Also, I don't want the specific username/password combinations to be
those of ordinary user accounts on the server, or have anything to do
with them.  I've been reading the man pages for vsftp and vsftpd.conf
and am now thoroughly confused.

I started editing a copy of the example vsftpd.conf with the man page
open next to it.  Thought I'd found the answers when I got to the
userlist_deny and userlist_enable options with stuff about the files
vsftpd.userlist_file and vsftpd.ftpusers.  But it now seems that I
can't allow connections using specific usernames without also
allowing access using usernames like root, bin, nobody, etc..

Is that correct, or am I wrong?

Assuming I'm wrong, how/where do I configure the usernames with their
passwords that can be allowed to connect?  I'm thinking here, about
something like configuring cvspserver accounts.