was attached messages was [H-GEN] gmail won't let me talk to myself.

Christopher LeMoyne christopher_lemoyne at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 2 18:06:45 EDT 2005

Hi Anthony,

>Greg Black wrote:
>

>>On 2005-10-02, De Crow wrote:

>>>Yet another person that I have the same problem with.
>>>

>>You don't have a problem with a person; your problem is with
>>software, and judging from the header I quoted above, I'd say
>>it's probably that crappy Microsoft thing you're using.  The
>>solution is to do one of the following:
>>

>[...]
>

>> * get a better MUA
>>

>Stuart Longland wrote:
>Actually, apparently Outlook, due to the way it's API is structured, is
>totally incapable of decoding PGP/MIME emails.  So really, the only real
>options are to either:
>
>	(1) put up with the irritating problem
>...or	(2) dump Outlook for another MUA (as per Greg's suggestion)

I can make a strong presonal recommendation for Thunderbird when running
on Microsoft Windows.  It has all the basic functions of Outlook, and
most of the more advanced ones as well (at least the ones I use,
anyway).  It doesn't have auto-forwarding or auto-responses (ie, holiday
messages), but the 1.1.0 release is slated to include these features,
and is due out soon.  It can import all your Outlook pst files and your
Outlook personal address book.  There is also an extension to retrieve
webmails from Hotmail and Yahoo (which I run successfully).  It also
runs on Linux, so if you decide to move to Linux on the desktop, you can
continue to use Thunderbird regardless of the platform you use.  I setup
a Courier IMAP server to hold my mail (and fetchmail to fetch it from my
various POP accounts) specifically so that I would no longer be tied to
any one MUA.  Just about every email client in existance does IMAP,
though some are better than others.  Thunderbird I have found to be an
excellent IMAP client, for a start it does offline caching so I can read
my mail on my laptop when away from home.

Most importantly for this thread, it doesn't have a problem with
multipart messages.  :-)

Regards,
Christopher