[H-GEN] DocBook Howto software

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Sun Nov 27 03:34:58 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 17:23 +1000, Greg Black wrote:

> > I want to write one using the DocBook format but I can't seem to find a
> > decent package that is simple to use.
>
> Hardly surprising, since nothing that really works with DocBook
> is simple to use.  In fact, unless it is your misfortune to
> already have a significant investment in DocBook, the smart
> approach would be to avoid it completely.

Hmm... ok I did want something simple but since that is not likely I am
not afraid of learning (wouldn't use Linux if I was).

>    "There comes a point in the life cycle of any system when
>     adding one more patch is the wrong solution to every
>     problem. Eventually, it's time to rethink, refactor, and
>     rewrite. For DocBook, I think that time has come."

Hmmm... if the creator is saying that it needs to be retired then I am
convinced.

> > What do you use to create Howto's?
>
> TeX, still the only capable documentation software around.

Is Lyx like a GUI front end to TeX? Is it hard to learn? Is the learning
curve as steep as Linux? Do you know of any good beginner tutorials?

> I keep saying that I'll write something new that will do well
> what DocBook does so badly, but my need has not yet been great
> enough to push this project near the top of the pile.

Ha ha, if I had actually created stuff that replaced what I could see as
a crappy one then I would never sleep. We have all been there.

What I wanted to do was create one "master" document that could then be
saved as individual HTML pages with the "Prev ---- Up ---- Next" created
automatically or as a single page.

You know the ones I mean, what do they use to do that, they sure would
not do them by hand, that would be a nightmare.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips