[H-GEN] Fw: Help (remote) with Debian

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 15:31:22 EST 2005

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:50:58 +1000
From: Chris Barnard <cbarn at hotkey.net.au>
To: secretary at humbug.org.au
Subject: Help (remote) with Debian

Hi
I wonder if one of Humbug's members could give me some assistance with
learning Linux (particularly Debian 3.1)

I live in Kingaroy which is a bit over 200 kms from Brisbane which
makes coming home from Humbug meetings a bit hazardous for someone who
has some minor physical problems with driving long distances.

Background (about me)
I have no IT background or training.  I'm approaching retirement from a
technical career.  (IT was a preposition when I went to school)  Some
time ago I decided to learn something about Linux and some experiences
with propriety software reinforced this decision.  I started with
Mandrake  7.2 and  have fumbled my way through  RH 8 and 9  and Fedora
3 and now use Suse 9.2 for most of my computer "work".  I feel that if
I am going to learn more I need to come to grips with a distro that
requires more configuring and Debian 3.1 came easily on a magazine.

This is strictly a home hobby.  (My employer is a MS shop although they
put Firefox on the internet computers this week.)  I am taking this
slowly so will not expect (or even want) instantaneous fully detailed
"do this and don't worry too much why."  Learning is my priority not
making a computer work in a hurry.

Currently I cannot get my printer (queue?) configured.  I can print in
Suse.  And I should get a firewall set up properly before I spend too
much time on the net.

There is a very small LUG in town but as far as I can tell no-one uses
Debian or can help much.  I attend nearly every meeting.

If anyone wlike to help they can reply to this email and I will give
some details on what I have tried.

Chris Barnard