[H-GEN] big pond cable on knoppix 4

Russell Stuart russell at stuart.id.au
Mon Nov 14 19:39:41 EST 2005

Mick wrote:

> my father has decided to bite the bullet and give knoppix 4 a try but I have
> been unable to get his bigpond cable connection up.
> Can anyone give me complete clear instructions I can pass to him (he would
> like to try doing it himself before I take over)

A couple of things.  Bigpond cable in Queensland
uses a different authentication server to those
elsewhere.  Ensure you have this line in
/etc/bpalogin.conf:

  authdomain qld.bigpond.net.au

Secondly, your IP address is allocated via DHCP.
Be sure you have configured your connection
appropriately.  If knoppix uses the ifup and
ifdown scripts aj wrote for Debian, you need to
add these lines into /etc/network/interfaces:

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

where eth0 is the ethernet card the cable modem
is plugged into.

Next, bpalogin needs to be able to contact bigponds
DNS servers in order to discover the IP address of
sm-server.qld.bigpond.net.au.  It is not (last time
I looked) an external domain name, so no other DNS
server will resolve it correctly.  (It should
resolve to 61.9.208.13.)  Providing you let the DHCP
client update /etc/resolv.conf this should all just
work.  But if you are using a caching name server
and don't update /etc/resolv.conf, it won't work.

Finally, bpalogin needs to be able to contact the
authentication server, so your routing table must
allow it to do that.  It you allow the DHCP client
to add a default route it should just work.