[H-GEN] big pond cable on knoppix 4

Stephen Thorne stephen.thorne at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 04:43:06 EST 2005

On 14/11/05, Troy Piggins <troy at piggo.com> wrote:
> Make sure port 5050 (by default on bpalogin) is open on your
> firewall.  Bigpond sends a "heartbeat" to that port on your machine
> to make sure you're still there.
>
> I don't know your modem there, but I assume it is just a modem, not
> a router with firewall builtin (else you'll need to open up that
> port there and any associated port forwarding etc).

Hm. I don't immediately see a network architecture where a 'firewall'
would come into this, as to use bpalogin, you need a real-world ip, as
allocated by DHCP, which comes in from the cable modem.

Having a machine, or a 'cable router' between the knoppix host (in my
of several errors) would imply that that machine has taken a DHCP
lease, and logged into the bigpond server. Having any machine behind
that host would require a phsically or logically seperated network,
and the 'firewall' doing some form of NAT - meaning that the knoppix
host would just have to get a DHCP lease from the 'firewall' and ..
volla. No logging in required, because everything is handled by
another machine...

But you do raise an interesting point, it's probably a good idea to
run tcpdump in order to see the authentication traffic, if you're
having problems.

This will show port 5050 traffic and icmp traffic.
tcpdump -i eth0 icmp or port 5050

assuming that eth0 is the external interface, with an ip address
assigned via the cable modem's dhcp.
--
Stephen Thorne
Development Engineer