[H-GEN] Shared Directory?

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Wed Nov 9 06:08:45 EST 2005

On 2005-11-09, David Powell (Moondrake) wrote:

> What I want to do is set up a shared directory for my Wife and I.  I've
> worked out the sticky bit for directories, which works like a treat, so
> new files are given owned by the shared group (family).
>
> The problem I'm having is that new files saved to that directory aren't
> writable by the group, and the only way I can find to change that
> (without having to manually set permissions each time) is to change our
> default umasks.  But that would change the way permissions are set for
> every file we create, whether in our own directories or the shared one.
>    Am I right so far?
>
> So, is there a way to set one directory so that all new 'things' created
> inside it give write permission to the group, without changing my umask
> for everything?

Carefully used, you can do what you want with the umask, but I
won't explain it as it lacks flexibility and is easy to get
wrong unless you have this stuff in your veins.

You don't say what OS you are using, but for most modern Unix
and Unix-like systems, ACLs are the answer to this kind of
question.  This is a link to a description of how to do what you
want on FreeBSD -- it will be basically similar for the others,
as ACLs are a POSIX feature:

    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/09/22/FreeBSD_Basics.html

Cheers, Greg