[H-GEN] Out of disk space errors?

David Harrison trogspam at games.telstra.com
Sat May 14 21:59:02 EDT 2005

I recently ran into a problem on one of our Linux boxes - something had
filled up one of the partitions, and df was reporting 0 bytes available.
I freed up a stack of disk space, but no matter how much I freed up,
there was still only zero bytes available - despite the fact that the
'used blocks' column was signifcantly less than before and continuing to
drop the more I deleted.

As of yesterday, another box has started doing the exact same thing. One
is running 2.4.23 and the other 2.4.24 kernel.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before? Short of a reboot (which I'm
trying to avoid at all costs) I'm running out of things to try to fix
it. I found a couple other people with similar problems on Google but
only vague references that indicated it might be an issue with older
kernels.

Thanks for any suggestions,

-- david