[H-GEN] Changing IDE HDD Controller Drama

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at panix.com
Tue Mar 22 09:05:13 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:11:26PM +1000, De Crow wrote:

> Now I've been having some Kernel Panics/random freezes when lots of data is
> transferred from drives on the Adaptec controller. So I thought I'd replace
> it. So I went out and bought a generic cheap Silicon Image ATA133 RAID
> controller, now given that the drives are in single disks I thought I'd have
> no problems transplanting them.... well the data is fine and you can access
> everything if I boot off a knoppix CD.  However the Debian Sarge that is
> installed to "hda" now doesn't boot, now it's not a BIOS problem afaik,
> cause it still boots off hda except that it's NOT hda it's hde.

Ugh.

I encountered something similar when I tried to install 3 drives and a
tape; 2 of the drives were SATA.  I think there may be kernel options
available to you.  Have you checked in linux/Doucumentation/?

As a hack you may be able to install a boot record on the "new" hda1 and
boot the kernel on /boot and add a root= parameter---which boot loader
are you using?

Cheers,
--
Jason Parker-Burlingham