[H-GEN] Re: [H-ANNOUNCE] Virus spam warning

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at panix.com
Mon Mar 21 11:39:15 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:07:37AM +1000, Matthew Sellers wrote:

> If anyone receives a message similar to the above, they should delete and
> disregard it. Do not open the attachment, it is malicious.

I have been getting copies of this virus for weeks now.  Why the late
warning?  In fact, why bother warning at all?  Which virus is contained
within the attachment?  Which systems are affected?  This warning
strikes me as being of very questionable utility.

I've very suprised to see a (presumably) Windows virus warning sent to a
HUMBUG mailing list.  This is an event almost entirely without
precedent; even Robert's announcements of vulnerabilities go to general
or chat (I can't remember which).

jason, who dissects VB "viruses" for laughs