[H-GEN] Reply options

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Mon Mar 21 02:37:56 EST 2005

This is a new thread, and I've set a Reply-To header to point to
me, not the list -- even though I'm going to quote something
from a previous thread:

On 2005-03-20, Bradley Marshall wrote:

> Frankly, this trend of people adding reply-tos to the list
> while the list doesn't just makes the whole thing confusing
> for people - when replying to an email, the actions the mailer
> take will change depending on who's sent the message.

This is an interesting point that I haven't previously
considered.  I'm not sure how other people feel about it, but
I'd like to find out -- hence this post.

I have been in the habit of putting a Reply-To header pointing
back to the list I'm posting to when writing to the Humbug
lists, with the intent of making things easier for other people
and I know that some other members of the lists have done the
same thing.  Until now, I was fairly sure that this was helpful
to people -- at least I had not received any complaints about.

Anyway, as I see it, there are three options open to me:

  1. Continue to add a Reply-To header
  2. Switch to a Mail-Followup-To header
  3. Stop adding helper headers altogether

What I'd like people to do is to reply directly to me, letting
me know their preference.  I'm willing to consider other options
if there is something I've overlooked -- but I will of course
ignore any suggestions that I should agitate to get the lists
changed to add Reply-To or Mail-Followup-To headers.

After allowing enough time for the answers to come in, I'll
tally them up and weight them and reach a decision.  I will post
my decision (and the summary of the data) to the list so that
people will know what I'm going to do and what the consensus is
(and that way we can manage this with a total of two messages to
the list instead of a barrage of stuff).

Cheers, Greg