[H-GEN] software runs the world

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Sun Mar 20 07:16:26 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 21:40, Bradley Marshall wrote:
> > Because the list
> > no longer does reply to munging I have to do manually.
> > Since I really shouldn't have to do it manually (there are
> > after all lots of lists out there where I don't have to),
> > it ain't my fault if I stuff it up.
>
> So, you choose to add an extra header manually, you stuff up
> and its somehow the mailing lists fault?  I'm sure its fairly
> obvious there's a flaw in that logic somewhere.  It should
> be quite clear that reply-tos are not necessary for everyone,
> and if you choose to not use one of the many options that are
> available for dealing with it, its hardly the lists fault.
> Its not as if its a secret that the lists don't do it, and it
> hasn't changed in quite a while.

Yeah, yeah.  The remark was tongue in cheek.  I goofed.

> Frankly, this trend of people adding reply-tos to the list
> while the list doesn't just makes the whole thing confusing
> for people - when replying to an email, the actions the mailer
> take will change depending on who's sent the message.

Well done!  You have managed to make a novel and good
point - a rare achievement in this discussion.  I had not
thought of it that way before.

> People could always publish their opinions elsewhere, I just
> see it as another option.

OK.  So I take it you don't think the rise of the blogs
effects the traffic on lists.  Opinions seem to be divided
on the issue, and no one seems to have made a firm stand.
I guess that means if there is an effect it is minor.

> > Right now I think this feedback will be missing when I write
> > something and put something up on a blog.  I guess I will
> > find out soon enough.
>
> I've had a few extended "conversations" with people over a blog,
> and its not that hard to keep track of.  Planets - like Planet
> HUMBUG - certainly help with this if you're dealing with people
> who are in the same community, and RSS feeds are another option
> for being informed when new posts are made.

Thanks - there seem to be a lots of different points of
view here.  If I got off my bum and got my web site working
instead of replying to posts, I guess I would find out for
myself.