[H-GEN] remove software not installed via rpm?

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Sun Jun 5 23:41:19 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:45 pm, David O'Brien wrote:

<snip>

> Session details for info:
>
> [david at rocket david]$ which vmware
> /usr/bin/vmware
> [david at rocket david]$ rpm -qa | grep vmware
> [david at rocket david]$ rpm -qa | grep are
> [david at rocket david]$ ll -a /usr/bin/vmware
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 4350 ene 29 23:52 /usr/bin/vmware*
>
> [root at rocket /]# rpm -qa | grep mware
> [root at rocket /]#

There is a trap for young players here.  If you had tried either of
the following instead, the result would have been quite different.

# rpm -qa | grep VMware
# rpm -qa | grep -i vware

The entry in the rpm db for VMware has the form
VMwareWorkstation-<ver>-<build>, AND, grep does a case sensitive
search without the -i option.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, WMware Workstation is only
available in a rpm or Windows installer format, so installing on a
Mandrake box not via rpm would be difficult.