[H-GEN] Cloning Linux System

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Sun Jun 5 20:52:30 EDT 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Stephen Thorne wrote:

> I recall that there was some form of bug associated with 'dump' and
> newer linux kernels, and a quick google shows this:
> http://lwn.net/2001/0503/kernel.php3
>
> the dump tool is still maintained, but I don't see anything in the
> CHANGES file that acknowledges the kernel bugs...

It's not really a bug per se.  It was pointed out by Linus and others
stale data could be backed up with dump for ext2/3 because of the way it
interacts with the cache.  The Humbug-General archives should contain a
lengthy discussion on this.  It's worth noting that other tools called
dump exist for other filesystems such as ufs.

I use dump all the time and have not had issues (although I use xfsdump
much more).

> Either way, neither dump or dd are the tools to use for backing up a
> live system imho, you're better off using netcat and tar or rsync.

I'd avoid dd for live read-write filesystems for the reasons mentioned by
Jason.  I use dd when backing up ntfs or v(fat) but I make sure they are
not live/read-write.

Tar is a good tool for backups but I have a preference for dump partly
for reasons of convenience.

If you are backing up xfs then SGI officially recommends xfsdump which
they confirm is fine to use on live filesystems.  xfsdump is the only tool
which will capture the xfs extended attributes (not that they are used
much).

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.