[H-GEN] Bittorrent query

Stephen Thorne stephen.thorne at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:40:24 EDT 2005

On 02/06/05, Andrew Pullin <andrew at hotspurbgc.com.au> wrote:
> Hi All,
>     I don't know a great deal about bittorrent, except for that they are
> supposed to be a quicker way to download software by taking the load off a
> server and sharing it around amongst the downloaders.
>
>     OK so what is a reasonable download speed to expect?

Anything from 100 bytes/second to 100kb/sec is what I've learned to
expect from bittorrent.

I find it's really a matter of "start it running, leave it for a few
hours, come back and get a rough estimate of which day this week the
download will be complete".

My only advice is to limit the upload rate to about 75% of your max
upstream, that way your other connections (ssh, irc, http) won't be
competing for bandwidth on your limited upstream.

--
Stephen Thorne
Development Engineer