[H-GEN] Bittorrent query

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Thu Jun 2 10:51:01 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 23:10 +1000, Geoff Shang wrote:

> To bittorrent specifically.  I understand that if you don't provide the
> ability for people to upload from you, your download rate suffers
> dramatically.

Correct, that way leechers are discouraged.

> If you are behind a router or firewall, you'll need to
> forward the appropriate ports (this is client-dependent).

Nope, the BT ports are 6881-6899

> You may also have to instruct your client to allow uploading, though one
> would think this would be the default given the hit on download speed
> that not allowing it results in.

The other thing to remember with BT, do not let it flood the upload, if
you can't get out the requests then the downloading will fluctuate up
and down.

I limit my uploading to 8k/s and downloading to 40k/s. When I do that I
will get a nice constant 40k.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips