[H-GEN] Network access at meetings

Ben Fowler bjf at bjf.id.au
Wed Jul 20 11:06:28 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I noted recently that the news section on the website was recently updated
with the happy news that:

> We've meet successfully with UQ and expect to have network access for
> meeting at end of this month.

That's great to hear, but my open question to the club, and especially the
Executive is: there never was a full explanation of the original problem
posted either to the mailing lists or website properly outlining the problem,
and furthermore, executive members wouldn't be drawn on why it happened,
and what exactly happened.  Can we have a full explanation please?

>From where I'm standing, I think this ongoing lack of frankness from the
Executive is troubling.  I'm not saying it's deliberate, however, I _am_
saying that secrecy-by-default is not a useful or helpful policy, and in
the long run, can't be helpful for fostering trsut between the executive
and club at large.  I recall a certain member of the Executive boasting
about the number of times the minutes of Executive meetings had been
redacted, and at the time, it struck me as silly and self-indulgent.

So is there a communication problem here?  Are actions by the Executive
to not disclose certain events to the club-at-large justified?  And does
the club need to investigate 1) improvements in reporting goings-on to
the Club to the membership at large and 2) perhaps an amendment to the
Constitution to ensure that the club is kept informed of all goings-on,
provided that it isn't going to get somebody hurt, or the club sued?

-sincerely,

Ben.