[H-GEN] RPM installs

David Jericho david.jericho at aarnet.edu.au
Mon Jul 18 22:31:41 EDT 2005

Gary Curtis wrote:
> Use Debian!

No! Don't use Debian!</ObAdvocacy>

> Seriously.  Debian does this way better then Fedora.

To be honest, since the release of Fedora Core 2, RPM/yum walks all over
Debian's dpkg/apt-get combo.

> The main reason I switched from Red Hat to Debian
> some years ago was "dependency rage".

I switched Tucana Technologies/Plugged In Software away from Debian for
the same reason. I prefer lack of choice, over a abuse of choice and
each packager doing their own thing their own way, such that it "works
on this machine". Dependency rage, or RPM-Hell seems to have becoming
dpkg-debauchery.

As an administrator of a carrier network, I have terrors in the night, I
hear the final ride of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, I see
Ad-Dajjal, I fear the coming of Cthulhu when someone suggests changing
to Gentoo/Ubuntu/Debian for package management reasons.[1]

> BTW, (to you few Fedora devotees), does yum do
> a better job of this than rpm?

There's a reason why I continue to use yum and RPM is used in place of
apt and others at AARNet. apt/dpkg may have been the trail blazer some
years back, but it hasn't moved forward and it's definitely far from
perfect.

The latest incarnations of yum are blazingly fast, and it's really quite
easy to teach a network engineer to make their own RPMs.

[1] I wouldn't advocate Fedora either. The 5 year life cycle on RHEL is
really quite labour saving.

--
David Jericho
Systems Administrator, AARNet