[H-GEN] OpenSolaris!

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Fri Jan 28 12:16:06 EST 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Benjamin Carlyle wrote:

> Groklaw (among others) has been tracking the recent development of open
> source Solaris, especially the CDDL license that Sun have released it
> under. The "official" groklaw response can be found at:
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050126023359386

Although I must admin I have not reviewed CDDL I'm prepared to accept it
as an OSS licence on the endorsement of OSI, at lease for now.

I don't agree that Sun is now competing with Linux (as stated in the
article).  Open source has never been a one horse race.  What a lot of
people don't seem to realise is open standards (and thus open source)
undercuts the entire idea of competition in the market place.  It doesn't
matter if everyone else in the world uses MS-Windows or Solaris or Linux.
I can use BrockwayOS was long as everyone adhers to open standards.  Even
within the OSS community I'm finding alot of people are yet to grasp the
deeper meaning of OSS[1].  It represents a complete change in the way
computers relate to business and the rest of the world.

> Unfortunately, the specific open source licensing choice is still a
> thorny one.

When I get time I want to look into this further.

[1] In this particular case I'm refering to the article author.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.