[H-GEN] Anti-unix changes in Suncorp-Metway's updated banking TOS

Christopher Biggs listjunkie at pobox.com
Sat Jan 22 05:10:28 EST 2005

Humbuggers,
                I just logged on to Suncorp's internet banking, and
was presented with new terms of service to which I must agree in order
to use the service (I have not yet agreed, until I phone them and
discuss some details).

The obvious motivation for these changes is the current 'phishing'
outbreak, and the bulk of the change consists of a default $5000/day
withdrawal limit over internet banking, unless a higher limit is
specifically requested.

I'm fine with that change, but there was one other small change which
caught my eye: you must assert that you are using 'suitable software',
and agree that if you access the service with 'non-suitable' software
the bank is not liable for /any/ loss of funds.

'Suitable Software' has been redefined in the updated terms-of-service
as: MSIE 5.5 or later or Netscape 6.1 or later on MS-Windows
95,98,2000, or XP, along with an "approved" anti-virus suite.

So in attempting to mitigate losses due to phishing, they have
mandated the very software most responsible for those losses.

I'll be calling suncorp to let them know I'll change banks sooner than
use MSIE to access my money.  I urge other Mac or Unix users who bank
at Suncorp to do the same, or at least carefully review the new TOS.

--chris