[H-GEN] Wireless adsl routers

Sandra Mansell fakungabubu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 22:29:03 EST 2005

Paul Clarke wrote:

> I am about to buy a wireless adsl router. A frisnd has the Netcomm and
> it's range is pathetic, about 10m it starts to weaken and by 15m it is
> unuseable.

Bear in mind this might not just be the router. Some brands of cards
have pathetic signal range on their antenna. You can buy booster
antennas which extend your range (from memory I think they're $30-$40,
but my memory isn't too good in this weather).

We have an MSI router and 2 Asus cards and with the router in the middle
of the house we get excellent signal, even through walls. In ad hoc mode
without the router though the cards wouldn't even go 5m with a wall in
the way.

We're very pleased with the router (got it off ebay about 6 months ago)
and the setup is nice and simple. It doesn't actually route traffic at
the moment, just acts as an access point and it does it very well.

Good luck.

Sandra.
fakungabubu at gmail.com
http://photoalbumerator.blogspot.com/
McGee: Are you wishing you were a computer geek?
Tony: I'd rather be homeless than be you, probie.
    -- NCIS "Dopplegänger" season 2 episode 12