[H-GEN] Software Freedom Day - Sept 10th

Christopher LeMoyne christopher_lemoyne at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 10 05:41:29 EDT 2005

Sandra Mansell wrote:

> Anthony Towns wrote:
>

>> So, Ubuntu Linux, OpenSolaris, FreeBSD maybe. Do we want to actually
>> have CDs of all those to hand out, or just talk about them and say
>> "come to HUMBUG where we can burn you a copy"?
>

> I think that it's all very well to say 'don't forget *bsd!' but could
> a an average windows/mac user really install and use it straight away?
> Heck, I tried installing one of them a few years ago and found the
> debian installer much more friendly ;-) [don't flame me, I love debian.]

*Flame*  ;-)  I've used OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and Debian (as well as many
other Linux distros).  OpenBSD was the best out-of-box experience I've
_EVER_ had with any Unix.  Absolutely superb.  The installer was great,
and the automated system emails made things very easy for a beginning
admin.  However, that said, the OpenBSD partitioning program is the
worst program I've ever used.   I also intensely dislike the Debian
installer.  The reason I use Debian is apt-get - it's the killer
feature.  And as any Debian aficiando says, "you'll only use dselect once".

Regards,
Christopher