[H-GEN] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev ide1(22,1)

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Sat Aug 6 19:16:37 EDT 2005

Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:

> Do you get this error from all your partitions?  Sounds like the magic
> is hosed---there's a string of bytes at the start of the filesystem that
> identify it as such and not as something else.

On the two Linux partitions, yes.  The middle one is swap, so I don't have
any way to verify that (that I know of anyway).

> I wonder if a good first step might not be making sure you have a valid
> partition table, because if that's not right then your mount command
> won't read the right blocks, well get confused and bail in exactly the
> manner you describe.

That's what I thought, but the table I posted at least looks to be the
right one.  The ratios all seem correct.  Is there any way I can check for
sure?  At least the entry for the first one should be right, as it starts
at the beginning of the disk.

> You seem to have a rescue system; what does file -s say is in the
> special device you're trying to mount?

data:/home/geoff# file -s /dev/hdc1
/dev/hdc1: symbolic link to ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1
data:/home/geoff# file -s /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1: data

This would seem to confirm your theory.

Geoff.