[H-GEN] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev ide1(22,1)

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Sat Aug 6 00:37:08 EDT 2005

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Geoff Shang wrote:

> So is my drive hosed?  Or is there something I'm overlooking?

You could try a recovery from an alternative superblock.

The command dumpe2fs -x filesystem will display a lot of information on FS
including the backup superblocks.  You can then use a command like

/sbin/e2fsck -b superblock filesystem

to attempt recovery.

You may wish to look into e2image and also dd for making copies to
experiment on.  By taking a copy using dd you can work on a loopback
mounted copy of the image to attempt recovery, without risking the
original FS. If you have sufficent space keep one pristine copy and work
on a 2nd copy as some recovery attempts make break the filesystem.

This all assumes it is not totally toast and that you care enough to spend
the time.

To be honest from what you said in your post it doesn't sound good.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support at opentrend.net
OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.	Web:	www.opentrend.net
We are open 24x7x365 for technical support.  Call us in a crisis.