[H-GEN] Re: converting from speex to ogg vorbis

Geoff Shang gshang at pacific.net.au
Tue Sep 14 22:44:28 EDT 2004

Gavin Unsworth wrote:

> Whilst technically brilliant and beyond it's time (research on Eureka 147
> created MUSICAM encoding which became MPEG-2 Layer II .... and without that
> we would have never had MPEG-2 layer III (mp3!))

Whilst some MP3 is MPEG 2 (16kHz, 22.05 kHz and 24 kHz), the most common
MP3 is MPEG 1 layer III.

> When the first trial was conducted, L band was earmarked for DAB (Digital
> Audio broadcasting) using Eureka 147 in Australia. Political pressure from
> well connected media owners in AU led the ABA to abandon DAB planning and
> instead make a quantum leap to Digital TV planning. This has had numerous
> flow-on effects ... one of which was that L-band has since been used for
> other purposes.

Just curious - what is it being used for now?

> It's likely that we will end up with DAB, but using a different system known
> as IBOC (in band on-channel) .... US technology and not as elegant as the
> European Eaureka 147.

I keep my eye on radio industry news, and have not seen any mention of IBOC
with regard to Australia.  In fact, I believe IBOC is in trouble in the
states as well.

My understanding is that the current Sydney trial run by Commercial Radio
Australia (http://www.digitalradioaustralia.com.au) is using frequencies in
the TV band (can't quite remember where I read this though).  All the hype
seems to be around European DAB receivers, so if we end up going with
something else, there'll be a lot of pissed off people. :)  the radio
industry site radioinfo.com.au is even giving away receivers in their
ratings competition.

Geoff.