[H-GEN] Re: [H-ANNOUNCE] Caliburn Outages: hopefully fixed now

raymond at humbug.org.au raymond at humbug.org.au
Tue Sep 14 19:54:13 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 08:24:04PM +1000, Mark Suter wrote:
> Thanks go to Raymond Smith and Sarah Hollings for the work to replace
> the drives in Caliburn, and to UQ staff for accommodating our too
> frequent visits.

Thanks also to Robert Stanford who kindly donated the new drives,
along with a PCI IDE controller and IDE cable. Cheers Robert!

In the past, we used to mitigate the risk of these failures by
having twin primary machines cable of delivering mail, serving
web pages, and handling the mailing lists. When AsiaOnline folded,
we lost that capability.

HUMBUG _needs_ alternative hosting arrangements. Can you help? Do
you know someone who can help? caliburn has been pulling around
350 - 400Mb of incoming traffic a month, mostly email. A twin
primary machine would run with equal MX priority and we would
expect it to pull less than (maybe half as much?) traffic.

The machine doesn't have to be a physical box -- a virtual server
would be sufficient.

If you can help, please contact exec at humbug.org.au.

Cheers,

Raymond