[H-GEN] UPS advice

Troy Piggins troy at piggo.com
Wed Sep 1 21:54:08 EDT 2004

I have been asked to look into UPS for our work network (we have
been getting a few spikes and blackouts), and know next to nothing
about them other than the basics.  I looked at www.umart.com.au to see
what I could see, and noticed the range of amp/voltage combinations.  Eeep!

Our shared file server is the main one I want to protect - linux
based ATX PC.  There is also a plotter server running Win2k.  We
have also been recommended to provide a small UPS for our telephone
commander system.

Now for some questions :
- would I need a separate UPS for all 3 of the above
  implementations?  Does that depend on locality within the office?
- what size/amp/wattage would you use?  How do you work that out?
- if I were to get one for the plotter server, would it also be able
  to protect the plotter and scanner (Oce 9400II system A0 laser
  plotter)
- are some brand names better than others, and if so, which ones are
  recommended?
- the UPS provides adequate power to shutdown systems safely, is
  that easy to set up on RH9 and Win2k (and commander system for
  that matter)?

Thanks for any advice on this.

--
T R O Y  P I G G I N S